Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hugin Deserves a Hug!


Yes, I know other bloggers have already written in depth about Hugin, but I'd like to share my experience.

First of all, Hugin is just a graphical front-end for already established panorama libraries (which I didn't know existed) called panotools. Before, I would piece together a panorama by hand with The GIMP, but that never made the edges seamless, and never accounted for the lens barrel distortion.

The official page:
http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

They have plenty of tutorials to get you started. The program is not overcomplicated and you can get the hang of it rather quickly (make sure you are following the tutorials). It's just a matter of teaching the panorama tool how the images fit together and how the camera distorts the landscape.

The panorma shown was taken with a Nikon Coolpix 5400 in Panorama Assist mode some time ago. I hadn't been able to see the pictures stitched together because of the intensity of the barrel distortion, but with Hugin, it was a snap!

More process-specific posts on Hugin to come.

No comments: