Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Blowing out Fans

I took some highly compressed air and blew out a small processor fan (VIA EPIA) because it seemed to be making noise. It started to make more noise after I blew it out. So at first, I thought maybe I was using too much air pressure, but then I remembered that tiny fans usually make the most noise when compared to much larger fans. Later, I went and noticed that the fan was spinning a lot faster after I blew it out. Something I didn't expect to see. Then, I noticed a downward trend over the last half of a year since the fan was put into commission.

What I get from these pictures is that the fan is now spinning faster like it was half a year ago and the processor also started running cooler after I blew out the fan.





The conclusion: The failure mode of computer case fans is to develop (physical and electrical) resistance and spin slower and slower. They should be kept clean to prolong the life of the fan and the components they cool, but don't use too much pressure--you don't want to break the assembly.

If you're using compressed air -- you can use about 80-100 PSI, but don't use anything bigger than a Sports Ball Inflator or you'll have too much air velocity. Also, if you don't have a filter or anything on your compressor, you have to be careful about debris! Don't hold the air canister upside down or anything that might stir up dust or debris inside the tank. For most people, it's probably best to go to the store and get a can of "air" for your exact purpose.

No comments: